IRS vs. 4 link

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires
gatorman55

IRS vs. 4 link

Postby gatorman55 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:38 am

Hi all I am new to this site and have a question. I am building a 76 F100 (kind of a street rod). I have installed the CV front suspension from a 2008 CV and am now looking at my options on the rear. The idea of IRS from a Lincoln Mark8 is very interesting to me but wanted to get some insight. I am installing a 460 that I plan on putting out around 650 HP and I really want some wide tires in the back tucked into the body of a style side short bed. I had originally planned on installing a 4 link rear suspension with a 9" rear to eliminate the springs and clear the path for wide tires to fit between the frame and the exterior of the bed. Now that I have learned about the Mark 8 IRS I am struggling with which way is the best. I am a little concerned with the Lincoln not being strong enough and possibly not allowing me to put the wide tires I want under the truck. I love the idea that is has the disc brakes and the same bolt pattern as the CV front rims. Any input or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Monkey-1

Re: IRS vs. 4 link

Postby Monkey-1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Hey man, welcome to the forum! I see that you have already completed your CV swap. Please post pics and start a build thread! I too toyed with an IRS swap when I finally get around to doing my swap, but with a 4 year old in daycare and a 19 year old in college, baby steps will have to do me for now. The first thing you need to think about is getting the IRS as the same bolt pattern as the CV. The Lincoln rear is actually 5x4.25 and not 5x4.5. It's easy enough to get them the same. Check out http://team321.com/truckirs/wheelpage.html for some good info on getting what you need to convert. As far as strength, this rear end is pretty popular and plenty of components available to beef up any weak points you discover.
-Monkey-1
http://www.studmonkeyracing.com
Studmonkey@bellsouth.net
Instagram: @studmonkeyracing

TrailerSpecial

Re: IRS vs. 4 link

Postby TrailerSpecial » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:45 pm

I'd keep the 9" all the way. Late 70s Thunderbirds had a 9" with a 4 like suspension. Ltd's and Grand Marquis had a track bar design.

Return to “Suspension / Steering / Brakes”