What did you do to YOUR dentside today?

Off-topic items. No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012 22:27
i went a got mine all muddy today before i went into work today....LOL :woohoo:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2012 22:53
Had today off from work, so spent it in the shop with my boy's 78 lariat. The engine is back in and running, the hood is on, timing set, carb set, and just need to finish up tomorrow after work.

This old body is TIRED. kford78 better be real thankful...... :wink:
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012 13:31
I had a long weekend due to Mardis Gras, so I traveled to Texas to start work on trying to start the 460 engine in my 79 F-250.
I started by removing and inspecting the spark plugs. All of the plugs looked within reason with no noticeable changes between cylinders and all were within gap. I poured Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder to condition and loosen the rings up prior to turning the motor over. I placed a socket and a break over bar on the bottom pulley to try to turn the engine over. It was very hard. I next crawled under the truck to drain the oil. When I pulled the plug, it was like Niagara Falls coming at me!! It was finally followed by oil and then very thick oil. It appeared the last time that the oil was changed was in 2000 from the service sticker on the windshield. Someone had taken the valve covers off to look at the engine and water had filled the engine over the years. I replaced the oil filter and added some new oil to the motor. I placed a battery on the truck and tried to crank it. No such luck, but it was not a strong battery. My dad wanted me to pull the starter to have it checked out. It was a bear to pull the top bolt since it was between the exhaust pipe and the frame. I finally got the starter off and we took it to an alternator / starter shop. The starter was good and spun perfectly. The receipts I had showed that the starter was replaced in 2000. We went back to the truck and got a socket and racket and started trying to turn the motor over again. It turned a lot easier without a block filled with water. We got the Number One Piston up on TDC and checked the Distributor to see if it was in time and it was. Before trying to put a hot battery on it, I inspected the carburetor and decided it would be best to rebuild it before trying to start the truck again. According to the receipts that came with the truck, a brand new Holley four barrel was put on the truck in 2000. I brought the carburetor back with me so that I could rebuild it prior to my next trip to Texas. I talked to the local machine shop in town and they quoted me $1600-1900 to rebuild the engine with some 3 angled port job and better pistons. On a side note, I noticed that the passengers floor board was damp and upon peeling back the floor matt and batting I saw that the floor pan on the passenger’s side was about rotted through and would need to be cut out and replaced. I put it on the list as another job to do further down the line. The truck has not been registered and inspected since 2001 and the mileage on the truck was only 300 miles since the last time shop receipts I had on it were dated in 2000. The seller said that he thought that it was a cam/lifter problem on the driver’s side rear of the motor. I will not know until I crank it.
1979 F-250 Ranger Camper Special, 460, C6, 3.54 Axle, 7700 GVW
"Oh give me a home with a low interest loan, a cowgirl and two pickup trucks. A color TV, all the beer should be free, and that, man, is Rancho Deluxe"
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012 18:02
Today I decided to fix the fuel gauge,I disconnected the wire going to the sender connected it to a spare sender I had and as I expected it's a bad sender. The worse part is it's a 30 gallon tank with at least 10 gallons in it.
I tried to siphon it with my handy siphon hose but the brass thing wouldn't go past the rubber hose that's flattened out between the frame and bed. Nothing is ever easy.
At that point I decided I would wait and move on to the rear axle seal. I removed the axle cut off the retainer and bearing and put the axle in my fridge. Tomorrow after the axle is sufficiently cooled and contracted I will attempt to slide the bearing and retainer on hopefully without too much grief.
78 F150 Ranger XLT Diesel
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012 22:07
Dropped the front leafs and started grinding out the rivets that hold the front crossmember on and punching them out. There are 16 of them and 8 are a pain to get at, might not be able to use the grinder. Kind of funny how the crossmember is sandwiched between the front spring hangers and the frame but does not run the full length of the spring hanger. This makes it so the spring hanger is not parallel to the bottom of the frame but on an angle the thickness of the crossmembers thickness. I may space both sets of the spring hangars on the front away from the bottom of the frame, probably just make new ones since it will allow the truck to sit level with the heavier 6bt. Then I'll make a new crossmember that can be unbolted to get the engine hoist closer to the firewall when installing the diesel.
1974 F-250 Crew 4x4, 1988 Bronco 351W and 1994 Ranger
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012 11:08
Well, if any of you recall, my wife's nephew made an offer on my 75. He decided to pass, and I couldn't be happier! :D Found these wheels and 35" BFG MT's for $200! Put a carb spacer on and that cured my dieseling and hot start issues. I used the "RemFlex" header gaskets from BroncoGraveyard, those are worth the money. I've fallen in love with it all over again.
Attachments
Leo (800 x 599).jpg
The "new to me" wheels and tires.
75 F-250 4x4
77 F-250 4x4 Crew
77 F-250 4x4
79 F-250 4x4
Montana: where the trucks are Ford and the tractors Green.
Jason
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012 13:09
Scraped some old stickers off of the windshield and driver side window. :D
74 F350 Super Camper Special, Ranger XLT, 460, C6, 4.10 axle, 10K GVW, 42K Miles, All original
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2012 11:56
Bled the brakes on my latest build project - a bare-frame-up 1979 F250 4WD with a 6BT under the hood :lol:
Attachments
MVC-732S.JPG
most recent picture with front sheetmetal on and in primer
MVC-719S.JPG
grille fitted around the Powerstroke intercooler
MVC-617F.JPG
older pic showing engine installation
Same username on Fordification.com
my 79 F250 4WD Cummins conversion thread: http://www.fordification.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=963
Owner of several 67-72 as well as 73-79 Ford trucks.

Like REAL vintage drag racing? http://www.meltdowndrags.com
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2012 18:57
Well, I picked up the necessary supplies to do a complete tune-up and oil change to mine this weekend, but got sidetracked driving the kids around in it, hitting local parks and letting them burn off some steam.

Once I came home, I decided it was time to get started on the refurbishing of my Ford Four Seasons topper, so I got it removed and on sawhorses in the driveway. (I started a thread on this in the Project Updates forum...click here.)
Keith

♫♪ Get yer motor runnin'...head out on the highway! ♫♪
1975 Ranger XLT SuperCab Camper Special
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012 20:18
Set up new rear gears, a first time for me. I bought the expensive pullers and such, and actually really enjoyed doing it. Not as hard as I thought it would be, but definately time consuming.
75 F-250 4x4
77 F-250 4x4 Crew
77 F-250 4x4
79 F-250 4x4
Montana: where the trucks are Ford and the tractors Green.
Jason
PreviousNext

[ Previous topic | Next topic ]

Return to General Discussion